Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Does Size Really Matter?

The first time I held it in my hand, I was laughably inexperienced, but I remember thinking:”…eh, what’s the big deal?” I wasn’t terribly impressed considering all the hype. When I had it between my thighs, I was honestly frightened. It didn’t feel right or substantial. It actually felt…dangerous. I immediately jumped off. I was definitely not a fan of the 45mm pole.

In the United States, the commercial poles that are available are of 2 different diameters: 50mm and 45mm (apparently in Australia, the 38mm is popular, but it has yet to debut here).  The industry standard is 50mm, which means that in most clubs that feature exotic/erotic dancers, the poles measure 50mm in diameter.  Years ago, when the only girls who knew how to pole dance were industry dancers, it made sense that the poles that began to pop up for recreational use were the same as the ones in the clubs. As pole dancing began to creep into mainstream society and competitions were developing, it was simply accepted that if you wanted to compete, you had to do so on a 50mm pole.

When I started taking classes at Pole Fitness Studio (Fawnia Dietrich’s studio) in Las Vegas, NV, most of the brass poles were 50mm, but she had installed 2 that were 45mm (rumored to be for the use of Felix Cane). Petite women often prefer the smaller pole due to a better-proportioned grip. A lot of girls at the studio began gravitating towards them. Then they started praising the magical virtues of the 45mm. According to the talk, tricks were easier to learn on the 45. Being the stubborn traditionalist, I turned my back on the 45 and stuck loyally to the 50. It was my teacher’s suggestion, while I was flailing pathetically with a trick, to give the 45 a try. I would love to report that I nailed the trick…but I didn’t…and I hardened my heart against the skinny little pole.

Almost three years later, I found myself taking the best private lesson of my life…on a 45mm Xpert X-pole with Estee Zakar. I would say that most of it was the superior instruction from Estee, but that pole was definitely my friend that afternoon! Tricks that I’d never thought I’d ever get really did seem suddenly accessible. I actually felt stronger, strangely enough. Estee assured me that the 45 was going to become the pole used future competitions. I instantly thought of my friend, Laura, who asked for my opinion on the 45 vs. 50, and I emphatically stated that I would recommend the 50. Did I give her bad advice?

In all actuality, if you learn on a 50mm pole, it’s pretty easy-peesy to switch over to a 45mm. The same cannot be said for the reverse. I can see that the first time I tried the 45 in Vegas, my hand strength was not nearly as developed as it is now.  As a matter of fact, my over-all strength, stamina, and technique were at a much lower level than today. For me, I feel like I’ve finally graduated to using the 45. But I would not have gotten to this point without using the 50. While I’m grateful to all the 50s that I’ve encountered in my life, I’m at last ready to embrace the 45. Yes ladies, it's true...size does matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment