Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Look at Progressive Series/Level 2 from Vivienne Palmer

The Progressive Series/Level 2 takes you through all the spins, tricks and transitions in our Level 2 curriculum, methodically and systematically. It's a new program that Boulder Spirals is very proud to offer. Guest blogger, Vivienne Palmer, writes about her experience from her first class in Level 1 to her fourth class (out of seven) of the Progressive Series/Level 2 in her essay "Spiraling Out of Control". To sign up for our upcoming Progressive Series/Level 2, February 11-March 31, 2012 at 11:30am, please CLICK or call Boulder Spirals at 720-989-1838.



 
SPIRALING OUT OF CONTROL
By Vivienne Palmer

Pole dancing, or Pole Fitness, has been on my mind since a friend raved about the amazing transformations she saw, in physique, self-esteem and confidence, from an S-Factor Class she observed in L.A. I’m athletic and while I’m happy with my looks, I’m bored of the gym routine I dutifully bang out six days a week. Like almost every woman I know, there’s something fascinating about the prospect of learning how to pole dance, maybe because it’s a little taboo. But then there’s this other part that is reticent to try because, to quote Ryan Gosling’s character from Crazy, Stupid Love, “The war between the sexes is over. We won the second women started doing pole dancing for exercise.”

I’m not one to admit defeat but I’m also not one to give up something before I even try it.

I’ve never been a shrinking violet and I’m usually the first to wear something revealing if I think I can get away with it, so I’m not daunted by the exhibitionism of pole dancing, or the performance aspect. However, it still took me about seven years to finally get around to taking my first class. Having two kids has a way of setting one’s plans back.

Day One: Beginning Pole
My first experience at Boulder Spirals was a beginning level class that consisted of me and a couple of women redeeming a Groupon. Always one for research, I Googled my instructor ahead of time and saw some images of Sasha Viers, owner of Boulder Spirals and my soon-to-be instructor. I have to be inspired by my instructors and Sasha looked like she could inspire me. Armed with a preconception of who my instructor would be (young, childless, most likely a former stripper – clearly I am as guilty of stereotyping as the next persona), I showed up in the requisite tank top and shorts but felt overdressed and bloated standing next to Sasha. Girl owns it.

Sasha quickly introduced herself started out with a warm-up routine of arm circles, isolations, core-strengthening moves and modified yoga positions. I had my eye on the clock and noted with some dismay that this was taking up a good deal of allotted one-hour class. We got down to business with a body wave which felt awkward but came together when Sasha put on an old-school Massive Attack song which gave me the sense that musically speaking, we could get along.

We spent a solid five minutes body waving from crouching to standing and working up a good deal of effort in the meantime. Sasha said, “This is way more fun than crunches” and I had to agree. Eager to get my feet off the ground, I was psyched to try our first trick: grip the pole one hand above the other at eye level. Hold on tight and lift up one leg, then the other, now put your feet down. Sounds easy right? Only one word was going through my head: RESPECT.  This simple move, a galaxy away from the mind-boggling tricks I watched on Youtube, was at the outer edge of my ability and I’m no slouch.

Day Two: First Class of Level 1-2 Progressive Series
I brought a friend to the first day of Level 1-2 Progressive Series. The class was overfull (my friend didn’t register ahead of time, her bad) and had to share a pole with me. After the standard warm-up, Sasha re-visited the Booty Bump and the Speed Bump I learned previously, got our feet off the ground with a simple fireman’s hold, and taught us the Girl-On-Top spin and the Stripper’s Strut. To leave us with something to look forward to, Sasha demonstrated a Front Hook spin and walked us through it.

First, I have to say that watching Sasha move is like watching a bird catching an updraft, or maybe a minnow gliding in a lazy current. She’s lithe and incredibly slender. If not for her sensuous movement, she is almost childlike. Her spins float and her hands barely seem to grip the pole. She is the picture of effortless grace. That said, I got one doozy of a bruise on my shin from violently rushing the pole in an attempt to get some momentum up.

The next day I deflected questions about said bruise by claiming my husband kicked me in the shins. I want to get good at the pole before people start asking questions and demanding a demonstration. Meanwhile I discovered that my hooping instructor is a mutual friend with Sasha and I learned that she has a small child. I am not sure whether to be encouraged or dispirited to know she came to this with the same challenges as me. On the one hand, if she can do it, so can I. On the other hand, I don’t have an excuse if I can’t hack it. Driven much? You bet.

Day Three: Second Class of Level 1-2 Progressive Series
My friend dropped out due to time constraints but I stayed on, resolved to give it the old college try. I am determined by nature and aware of how learning curves work. I figured if I could apply consistent effort, I might not embarrass myself for much longer. It was encouraging to see familiar faces yet I still felt self-conscious, which isn’t a normal feeling for me. I am known for my self-deprecating humor, for being the first person on the dance floor and the class-clown.

This class consisted of learning three basic variations of the Front Hook spin. Then we learned how to climb the pole, which got me exactly two feet off the ground and in a world of hurt. Throughout the class Sasha worked from student to student, spotting and giving advice on technique. I pried a little into Sasha’s background and was a tad disappointed (and chastened) to learn that Sasha was not a former stripper (because I love a sordid past), but had a background in modern dance, gyrotonics and yoga. The truth be told, it shows in her teaching style. She is methodical and balanced, with a strong emphasis on form, safety and technique. There is nothing informal about her approach. I’m not exactly young so I have a healthy fear of injury and will go to great lengths to prevent it. I’m glad that I have an instructor who feels the same way.

My original dismay at the amount of time spent stretching and strengthening was replaced with gratitude. Sasha clearly understands that people new to pole dancing have to build strength and stamina. She has us practice moves but not to the point of complete frustration-plus-fatigue fueled failure. This is very important because it kept me from flaming out too early.

Day Four: Open Pole
I dropped in on an open-pole session that consisted of lots of stretching and watching more accomplished performers practice for the upcoming showcase. Sasha kindly walked me through pole climbing and spins, which I worked on until my body cried “Uncle!” I got in about 15 minutes of actual practice which didn’t seem like much until I took the next class.

Day 5: Third Class of Level 1-2 Progressive Series
My seemingly unproductive open-pole session actually made a difference! Sasha commented that I had softened my approach to the pole, which I took as a compliment. The spins I struggled with came easier and, while I didn’t float effortlessly, I felt like I wasn’t hanging on for dear life and unceremoniously dropping myself on my knees. I was also able to climb halfway up the pole.

Sasha worked on our floor moves and taught us how to take a spin to the ground, roll it over, do some flirtatious leg moves and bring us back to standing and voila, we had a mini-combination. Add some music and now I was feeling damn sexy and a little bit good at this. We reviewed the three front hook spins and I felt like I was finally getting the hang of things.

As I write this, I am aware of the various tender spots on my body, namely my calves, tops of my feet (from pole climbing) and behind my knees. Maybe it is my age (I just turned 40), or my athletic zeal for muscling through the movement (I’m working on my finesse) but I’m feeling like it was pretty smart to start this during the winter months when I can hide my bruises behind long pants and tights. Like any athlete, there is a part of me that relishes my battle bruises and sore muscles. I worked for these and I am using parts of my body that I’ve never used before. I am also hoping that come springtime my legs will be as unblemished as my technique.

Day Six: Open Pole
After approaching the general manager at my gym about installing a pole in a corner of an unused racquetball court (and getting totally shot down), I decided that I’m going to have to take advantage of as many of open pole sessions as possible. I find it inspiring to be around more experienced dancers, and that would be everyone but me. Some of the faces looked familiar to me and although most, but not all, of the women appeared to be college age, I am eager to perform with them in a showcase one day. There is a small bulletin board near the entrance to the studio that advertises the services of various choreographers who can help with routines. It is encouraging to know that I don’t have to figure out a whole routine on my own. Nine times out of ten I’ll enlist the best help I can find because I believe in killing it. This gets me psyched.

Day Seven: Fourth Class of Level 1-2 Progressive Series
We reviewed our Front Hook spins and started in on the basic back spins and learned how to link the two together. Between all our “big” tricks, Sasha taught smaller transition moves, both standing and on the floor, that can work to make sexy little combination.

Linking moves together elevated the pole from simply trying to master a trick to doing something creative, personal and dancer-like. Sasha broke down how to execute a full back-bend to the floor that took it from being a total no-go in my mind to something completely doable. The great moment really came when she turned down the lights, put on some music and encouraged us to freestyle for the last five minutes of class. For a few minutes I almost lost myself in the movement that came easier and felt sensual and empowering.

I’m still trying to figure out how to approach talking about my new passion. I don’t want to be snippy with people about it, but I’m getting a little tired of the smirks and the jokes about my “second job”. I challenge anyone to try it and not walk away with a deep respect for the athleticism and commitment of an accomplished pole dancer: stripper or otherwise. So if I’m unlikely to blurt out in a mixed crowd that I am taking these classes, it’s because I want to get so good at it that I can wipe the smirk off anyone’s face who thinks it’s easy and for layabouts. When I’m that good, there will be a pole in my living room.

Part II of Spiraling Out of Control coming up in March! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post! This is like the perfect description of my thoughts through my first classes, minus the the whole being a mom thing:P

    ReplyDelete